we have no shame

if youre gonna google search, please use this.

Custom Search

Sunday, December 14, 2008

12/13/08 Joy Sevilla Ft. Trey Warren @ The Coffee Pot San Marcos, TX

The best part of this girl’s set was when two bro’s in polos (is there any other kind?), fresh from partying on the San Marcos square, walked by the venue and one of em said to his butt buddy: “Man, I’m horny.” Ms. Sevilla’s vocals had a slight hint of jazzy feeling to them; which was nice, save for the fact that they were also too light and airy and ended up sounding like Feist and Cat Power got together, had an awesome lesbian-relations baby, but then that baby grew up and tried to sing like its mom[s], but lacked any sort of drive or conviction. The song Mr. Warren sang was accentuated by Sevilla playing a Squire P-bass while he strummed some fairly driving acoustic guitar chords. The music on this song wasn’t too bad, but again, the vocals lacked the drive that I felt was needed in an up-tempo, folky song. Overall, the duo combined for a decent enough take on coffee shop music, but there was nothing really memorable or outstanding. Read: background music while you drink an espresso (which, I discovered while listening to said background music, is actually only a really really gross tasting shot of super strong coffee and not, as I’d always thought, a full sized drink)

2.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me..
    Listen, I'm not a great musician and I know that. I'm not playing shows to pursue music. I did it because my friends wanted to put on a show and just have a good time, no spectacular expectations. Just fun.
    First, you never even told any of us, especially Ali Wagner that you were even reviewing such an informal show that didn't even need a review. You could have e-mailed her ahead of time, or had the decency to come up after the show and say hey-mind if I write a little something about you all's show..I'm into reviewing shows. I KNOW you have freedom of speech, but you used MY name on YOUR website without permission.

    Secondly, I just want you to know that to be able to hear all those disgusting guys say that stuff about us, that obviously means you were OUTSIDE the coffee shop listening. Next time- try and actually see the show before you make such harsh, unnecessary judgments.

    I'm not afraid to admit my shortcomings at being a musician or a performer by saying. .Go review actual bands that are trying to pursue music and make it. Let us "decent enough takes on coffee shop background music" be and get better material. No one wants to hear that shit.

    ReplyDelete