we have no shame

if youre gonna google search, please use this.

Custom Search

Sunday, December 14, 2008

12/13/08 Arrgh!drey @ The Coffee Pot San Marcos, TX


The first thing that struck me about San Marcos local Arrgh!drey, other than that the name was funny, was her baby blue Daphne Loves Derby shirt. That band’s mehhhh. Anyway, that’s not the point. Point is, she was a lot better than I expected. I was initially skeptical that Arrgh!drey (a portmanteau of a pirate noise and her name, Audrey) would impress me with her acoustic guitar and voice alone, but yeah, I was wrong. Her first song started with an upbeat chord progression, and I was instantly struck by how much better her voice was than I expected. The second song was marked by another bro, this time in a white polo, walking by the now crowded coffee shop and remarking “oh, man, I love this chick” *hair flip*. The chord progressions were standard fare; some walking bass notes, the usual four chords and capo use; however, this isn’t much different from even the best acoustic, folk influenced, singer-songwriters, i.e. Sam Beam. In fact, Arrgh!drey seems to be more than slightly influenced by the always amazing Iron & Wine, she and a guest cellist performed a cover of Mr. Beams “Flightless Bird American Mouth”. The cover was marked by slightly sharp vocals, but overall it was well received. By the end of her set Arrgh!dry, the singer-songwriter from McAllen, had really impressed me. Her voice was great, and she performed a feat I never imagined possible: getting a coffee shop crowd involved and attentive. She even managed to get a better portion of the shop to clap along after she dropped a beatbox into one of her songs. Apparently the band has a drummer, her little brother, who was not present. I’d definitely be interested to see what kind of show they could put on together. I’m sure that the girl who walked out of the Coffee Pot saying “Love it, love it” would be interested in it as well.

3.5/5

http://www.myspace.com/arrghdrey

1 comment: